28 February 2011

Life at a Bak Kut Teh Restaurant

One of my uncle on my father side runs a Bak Kut Teh restaurant in Sitiawan. We pretty much go there for lunch everytime we head back to Sitiawan. This time around with my camera I decided to take some pictures and show you what it takes to make a good bowl Bak Kut Teh.


To make a delicious bowl of pork bone soup (Bak Kut Teh), the first thing you need is some protection. No not protection money but protection from the gods you believe in.


It doesn't replace hardwork but it is still good to have some sort of belief that you are protected from unnatural disasters. Next of course you need the main ingredient which is the herbs to make the soup. I barely made out of the shop alive with this picture. My uncle's family is still trying to hunt me down to delete this picture so as I do not reveal the secret to their delicious bowl of Bak Kut Teh. However for the greater good I shall show you what it is.


See the big barks on the top right hand corner? Initially I thought it was just some chinese spice but when I picked it up and took a whiff, it was actually cinnamon. Never seen such big cinnamon sticks and never knew it was used for Bak Kut Teh. Next very important thing you need is...


Yes you need a very big cleaver and a sturdy chopping board to cut through all the pork meat and bone. The chopping board looks like they just chopped a section of a tree and used it as a chopping board. One of the favourite extra to make a good Bak Kut Teh is what I call spare parts.


If you are wondering what that is, well basically that is a basket full of pig intestines and pig stomach. My cousin will boil them in hot water and cool it down first before cutting it to be put into the Bak Kut Teh for people who like to have some "spare parts". Last but not least of course you need the human touch to take all the ingredients and put them into a pot and make a good bowl of soup.


That is my cousin which is in charge of boiling the soup and making the important soup for the Bak Kut Teh. All of this activities of course takes place in the kitchen...



Took some pictures around the shop as well...



If you are ever in Sitiawan, let me know and I will give you the direction to my uncle's shop and you must order steam fish which my uncle cooks. It is very unique and I have not had it in any other shop before.

1 comment: